We recently had an issue where an Exchange 2003 server failed to dynamically discover its site membership. After a reboot the server would bind to a out-site-domain controller and some exchange services would not start. The error below was also seen:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeSA
Event Category: General
Event ID: 1005
Unexpected error No site name is available for this machine. Facility:
ID no: c007077f Microsoft Exchange System Attendant
Manually set the site membership by making the following registry change:
- Start Registry Editor, Regedit.exe.
- Locate and click the following registry key:
- Double-click the SiteName value, and then type the site name (as it is configured in Active Directory) in the Value Data box.NOTE: If the SiteName value does not exist, follow these steps to create it:
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click String Value.
- Type SiteName to change the name of the newly created value, and then press ENTER.
- Double-click the SiteName value, and then type the site name in the Value Data box.
- Quit Registry Editor.
- Restart the computer.