Came across an issue this week where a single users DFS target was set to a remote location instead of it’s own.
So first thing i did was install the DFS tools from the windows 7 RSAT.
I then ran the following command to view the cache for the referrals “dfsutil cache referral” this displayed a list of all the DFS shares the user had accessed. I scrolled down the list to find the troublesome share. On the troublesome share there was an error code on the status instead of a status to 0.
So what i decide to do was flush the cache “dfsutil cache referral flush” , i then accessed the DFS share which had now started to point it’s target as the local file server.
I then ran the “dfsutil cache referral” to see if the error code had gone from the local file server and it had